WMI is "Windows Management Instrumentation" and is Microsoft's implementation of an Internet standard called Web Based Enterprise Management (WBEM). CloudSphere appliances use windows credentials to log into the remote windows endpoint via WMI to collect key information.
In order to test the credentials are valid and have the right permissions you will need to use the wbemtest tool to connect to a sample target windows endpoint. We are assuming that you are running the test from a workstation/ laptop that has network access and connectivity to the target endpoint.
Note: WBEMTEST is available on any Windows system.
- Go to Start and type "WBEMTEST" into the search or run box.
- Click Connect button
- Add hostname/ IP address (of a sample target windows device) in the format shown below.
- Type in the credentials (as shown below)
- Hit Connect
- WMI port/protocol is not blocked by an endpoint firewall
- The credential has access to login via WMI
- The credential has the appropriate privileges to get responses from WMI.